- Every 15 seconds, a child dies from a water-related disease
- Half the world’s hospital beds are used for water-related diseases
- 80% of all disease results from drinking water polluted with fecal materials
- More than 1.8 million people die each year from dirty water, most under the age of five
- Each year, the global water and sanitation crisis claims more lives through disease than wars
Trends that reduce water safety
- Aging water infrastructure: In many modern cities, municipal water systems have become worn out, and governments cannot finance the massive cost of replacement. This has led to privatization of many water facilities, leading to cost increases necessary to recoup the rebuilding investment.
- Natural disasters: Hurricanes and floods have led to contamination of many water systems.
- Industrial pollution: This is one of the main sources of contamination for many water systems.